Friday, July 2, 2010

Immunity Boosting Tea

Good morning!! How's your day going? It was a little nippy out this morning on my way to work! I actually had to grab a light jacket for the walk! But I didn't mind - the sun was still out, and the air was crisp and clean :)

While we usually think of winter as flu season, summer colds are pretty common, too. So protect your health! I had a cold coming on the other day, so I did my little ritual: gargle salt water. I don't know if that's just an old wives tale, or there's scientific research behind it, but it helps! Then I topped it off this morning with...

Immunity Boosting Tea:

12 oz warmed water (not too hot!)
juice of 1 lemon (or lime if you prefer)
a pinch of cayenne powder
a dash of ginger powder (I'm all out of fresh ginger root... sad...)

Mix and sip, and feel the body heal! ;-)

Lemon is a potent vitamin C package, which is a powerful antioxidant. Those little buggers just swim through the water in your body, and *WHAM!* neutralize any free radicals they find on the way!

Cayenne can get your circulation moving! Nice and warming on this cooler morning! But did you know it also has some good Vitamin A in it - essential for healthy epithelial tissues including the mucous membranes that line the nasal passages and lungs? Important for a healthy respiratory system! Sadly, with just a small dash, I probably didn't get too much of that wonderful vitamin, but maybe over time I can work up to a larger, spicier dose! The compound capsaicin is what makes peppers hot - and it's also a good pain reducer! So, sore throat no more! Ok, not a guarantee cure, but capsaicin HAS been studied as a pain and inflammation reducer in arthritis, psoriasis, and diabetic neuropathy. This lovely spice has also been shown to help open up clogged sinuses and nasal passageways. Thankfully, I caught my cold before it progressed that far, but good to know if that cold does persist!

And ginger. Ahh, ginger. That zesty, surprising bite of heat! I usually like to soak fresh ginger root in my teas, but I ran out and had to go with some powdered ginger this morning. Ginger is another antioxidant, anti-inflammatory agent. Ginger also contains dermicidin which German researchers are studying as a strong germ-fighting agent that enters your sweat glands after consuming ginger! Woo! Go Ginger Ninja! (Hmmm... I wonder if you have enough, if you'll smell like ginger after a good workout....)

So that was my health goal for today - kick the cold! And I am feeling much better! No sore throat, no congestion!

Stay healthy, stay warm, stay rooted in peace! (I need that one today...) ;-)

Love,
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment