Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I hope you're all having better luck with snow than I am! I about got stuck in an accidental parking spot yesterday! yep, accidental! :) I was making a turn to get to the spot I wanted, and slid into a different stop that I did NOT want. ...And then got stuck there (which is why I didn't want it - there was too much snow!) But, I was running late, so I parked it and hoped I'd be able to get out later after work. So after work, thanks to the wonderful boots I have, I was able to scuff down the foot of so of snow to the pavement, and managed to get enough grip on the tires to head home.

But boy, was I cold!

So, while I know I mentioned that cooking foods tends to cause nutrient loss, and normally I'm trying to help push natural, unprocessed produce that most people don't get enough of, I am happy to pass on any healthy help! And I knew I wanted a nice warm dinner.

Hey, it's still healthy and veggie rich!

Warmed Kale and Almonds
-drizzle healthy oil
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped
-1 bunch kale (about 10 leaves?)
-3/4 cup slivered almonds
-optional: sea salt to taste

In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and onion to lightly sautee, about 3 minutes. Tear up kale into bite-sized pieces, and toss in. Let steam just a bit to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add almonds and stir to warm, about a minute.
Enjoy! Just be careful: DON'T OVERCOOK IT! The kale will become soggy and mushy - yuck, yuck, and yuck! Like memories of middle school lunches... It's best when lightly steamed and still has some structure. Feel free to sneak little sample leaves to check as you cook it :)

This could potentially be 4 side servings; or Dave and I just split it as an entree. Quite warm and yummy! And the sweet onion and light cooking of the kale helps cut down on that green flavor, making it a good flavor combo!

Rich in antioxidants, loaded with vitamins, and liver-promoting kale. It also has a good dose of chromium from the onion - which is good for helping cells respond to insulin and helping keep down blood sugar levels. Onions may also play a role in many anti-cancer processes, so if you want to toss a whole onion in rather than half, go for it! Sometimes I do! If you use a sweet onion, don't worry, you won't be overpowered by that potent make-ya-cry onion power :)

Stay warm, stay safe, and see ya soon!
~Katie

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try this one! I always hated brussel sprouts, and then my friend Jen made them with a little EVOO and crushed pumpkin seeds and maybe some of her special spices... SO good! Almonds sound like a perfect compliment to hearty greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! You can either make it savory with things like onions, garlic, cumin... or maybe you'd prefer a sweeter version with things like cinnamon, honey... not sure! I may have to experiment with more recipes :)

    ReplyDelete