Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Smoothie

So I altered my tropical smoothie a bit, and thought I'd share a few photos of it!

While I normally add water to it to help with consistency, I had some left over coconut milk that just begged me to add it to the cool, tropical goodness that was in the blender! Coconut milk has been a hot topic in the nutrition world for a while. Once condemned for its high saturated fat content, there are now studies coming out showing there are different TYPES of saturated fats, and coconut's may not be as bad as once thought. Lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid in coconut, just may be a type of that the body is not going to absorb really quickly, and would rather burn quickly as fuel!
Coconut is also very hydrating for the body (yay for softer, healthier skin!)

I also added in some soaked goji berries - an antioxidant-packed berry with a rich history in Asia as a medicinal food. It is also being studied for its anti-aging effect! Add, maybe of less importance, I find it adds a nice sunset hue to my drink :)

I enjoyed pulling out some party favors and indulging in a hula-style drink, but if you don't have the silly little monkey, you can always garnish with a lime wedge.

I hope you have fun experimenting with your own recipes! You usually can't go wrong with fruit smoothies.
Enjoy, and drink up!
~Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment