Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Easiest Veggie Weapon

One of the most common concerns I hear when I work with clients is time. No one thinks they have the time to be healthy. And I hear ya! It can be difficult, but I believe 100% that it's worth it. I once stumbled across a quote:

“Those who don't make time to be healthy now will have to make time for being sick later.”
(if you know the author, please let me know! I can't remember it!)

I know it's easy to be a procrastinator (I lost track of my all-nighters during school!) but future health is important! And health NOW is important, too! Making time for health now will help with your stress, your mental clarity, and your mood.

Planning ahead is key! And making it a normal part of your routine can happen with patience.

Every weekend, I take a few short hours on Sunday to prepare for the week. Dave and I go shopping (WITH a shopping list!), and I make a giant salad that we store in the refrigerator. (An old Tupperware cake container works quite nicely! Plus that helps me not make cakes, as I'd have no where to store the thing! But you can use any container or even several bags.) This salad will then feed us lunch for the week, since I make sure to take to work some of this rich, green salad every day. This is a great weapon for your health! Just a small chunk of time one day, and you'll have a nutrient-packed, antioxidant-rich powerhouse meal and snacks ready every day for a week!

My salad base this week will be: 1-2 heads of romaine lettuce, 5+ sliced carrots, and a little tub of sprouts. I also chop up other veggies and store them separately, so I can pick and choose each morning as I put together my salad lunch. So, depending on my mood, I may pull from a tub of chopped radish and cucumber, sprinkle on some crisp red onions, tear up some other fun greens like kale or collard, or maybe even dice up an apple from a sweet variation. But I make sure it's all washed and prepped on Sunday so that I can whip together my salad in no time flat each day!

Other things you can prepare ahead of time:

*Wash off any produce you buy so it's easy to snack on later. I love to have my cleaned apples and pears on hand when I get home from work and my appetite is raging, tempting me to binge. There's no excuse when there's clean sweet food ready for me! :) Then the crave monster quiets down, and I can go ahead and make my healthy dinner.

*Pre-portion various foods in snack bags so you can toss them in your lunch later or grab as a snack: carrots, baby tomatoes, broccoli, or celery will all keep for several days in the fridge.

*Keep a supply of transportable fruits: oranges and bananas come pre-packaged for easy travel!

*Slice up a just-browning banana, zip-loc it, and toss it in the freezer: this is a great addition to any smoothie you may make to get that extra kick of potassium and make it colder!

Well, tomorrow is Sunday, so give it a try! ;-) I know I have a date with my kitchen!

Hugs!
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment