Friday, May 14, 2010

Purple Power!

(Picture taken by J.E. Fee, as posted on Wikipedia)

Today I am researching a vegetable that I know little about: the Eggplant! (Ok, I know - it doesn't come ONLY in the purple power variety, but that's the commonly known color!)

Normally, this has been an item I have avoided. I had no idea what to do with one! But I am facing that mystery, and going to find some healthy recipes with this violet gem!

And what’s so good about the eggplant? While it is not quite the ninja-kick power-house of nutrients like that of some other produce items discussed, it still has its unique benefits, and can be a very healthy addition to your life!

It does contain good fiber to help keep ya regular! It’s also a good source of potassium, manganese, copper, thiamin, B6, folate, magnesium, and niacin. And it’s near fat free! (You get a whopping 0.2 grams per cup. And of course, trans fat free)

Nasunin is a component of eggplant skin that’s being studied for its antioxidant affect. In some animal studies, it has been shown to help protect brain cells! Nasunin also plays a role in keeping your iron levels in check.

This purple produce also contains chlorogenic acid, which is being studied as a major “anti” compound: anti-cancer, anti-LDL cholesterol, anti-viral, and anti-microbial! Niiiiice!

Eggplants used to be blamed for causing insanity… but I’m glad the view on that is not holding! This sounds like a great food to add to any diet! So, keep an eye on me… if I start behaving… oddly…

*wink*

So, if you have any simple, healthy recipe ideas, please share them! This will be a new addition for me!

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment